news / current affairs / free knoweldge
- "Next in importance to freedom and justice is popular education, without which neither freedom nor justice can be permanently maintained." - James A. Garfield, July 12, 1880
- "Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in the cosmic religion for the future: It trancends a personal God, avoids dogma and theology; it covers both the natural and the spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity." - Albert Einstein
- "pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. free men pull in all kinds of directions." - terry pratchett, the truth.
- memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem revertis (remember, man, that you are dust, and to dust you will return).
- "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
- The path of beauty,
with flowers of truth.
Travel as far as you can,
and don't fear anything.
Felix Francis Buko-Misnianski
- "He who knows the truth but does not practice it is like a cowherd counting other people's cattle." - The Dhammapada
- 「讀萬書不如行千里路」 "It is better to travel a 1,000 miles than to read 10,000 books". - Chinese saying
- "The Highway and Automobile culture are symbols of totalitarian cultures which deny people more sustainable and equitable alternatives for mobility and transport." - Vandana Shiva, February 19, 2004.
- "The scene opens on a world that appears totally primitive. People are naked, people are orgiastic, people are nomadic. But when they close their eyes there are menus hanging in space. Culture has been internalized. Culture is supposed to be internalized. All this talk about virtual reality - people don't seem to notice - this is a virtual reality. These are all ideas - ideas that have been forced into matter so that we could live in a reconstruction of our imagination. And de-constructing these virtual realities in which we live is the only way to get back to some sort of baseline of what it is to be human." - Terence McKenna
- "On both sides of the Atlantic, it is only a little overstated to say that we preach individualism and competitive capitalism, and practice socialism." - Milton Friedman, 1994, from the introduction to The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek.
- "Our true nationality is mankind." - H.G. Wells, The Outline of History.
- "In 1995 Gallup pollsters found that 39 percent of Americans said that "the federal government has become so large and powerful that it poses an immediate threat to the rights and freedoms of ordinary citizens." Pollsters couldn't believe it, so they tried again, taking out the word "immediate." This time 52 percent of Americans agreed." - David Boaz, Executive Vice-President of the Cato Institute, 1997
- "I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." - Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, January 11, 1989
- "Civilization declines in relation to the increase in Bureaucracy." - Victor Yannacone
- "A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." - Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, 1801
- "The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs or impede their efforts to obtain it." - John Stuart Mill
- "No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo